Monday, July 24, 2006

Working on Worship for July 30th

I'm pulling together material for Sunday's worship service. It's a creative process that doesn't always follow a straight line. However, my starting point is always the suggested scripture readings for the day.

Lectionary Readings:
Hebrew Scripture: 2 Samuel 11:1-15 -David and Bathsheba
Responsive Psalm Psalm 14
Epistle: Ephesians 3:14-21 -Prayer and Benediction
Gospel:
John 6:1-21

Looking at each of these, I am likely going to stick with the Hebrew Scripture Reading. It's the story of David and Bathsheba, and I can have a lot of fun with the abuse of power that even the so-called "great king" of Israel fell. Yes... I said "fun." I'll likely just skip the Epistle and Gospel readings, simply because they deserve full treatment if I have them at all. Given that sex and politics seems to be the order of the day, these other two readings will come up again.

So from this, I also picked these hymns:
Hymns:
313 Oh worship the king
26 As pants the hart
642 O Master let me walk with thee
477 Your hand O God has guided

During the summer months I try to keep things pretty familiar. The challenge is, what I consider to be familiar may not necessarily be everyone else's. At some point I'm going to go through my notes from the past year and see how many different hymns from the Book of Praise I've actually used.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home